I first delved into early potty training (a.k.a. elimination communication) when attempting to potty train my first child around the age of 2 1/2. I found it maddening that he would sit for 30 minutes on the potty, put his underpants back on and immediately poop in them. How could that be normal? Out of frustration, and just for the heck of it, I decided to put my second child (then 8 months old) on the toilet and see what happened. She pooped, and I was hooked.
This page includes every post I have written about early potty training, including:
- tips and tricks for successful early potty training
- the benefits of early potty training
- specific instructions for early potty training at different ages and stages
- the history of potty training
- why you should ignore all guidelines for "potty readiness"
- my experiences potty training my second child from the age of 8 months
- my experiences potty training my third child from the age of 4 months
Early Potty Training 101
A Brief History of Potty Training
In addition to outlining a brief (and enlightening) history of potty training, this post discusses why you should ignore the AAP guidelines for potty readiness, which are based upon myths and theories that have been proven false in published medical studies.
This post describes various medical benefits for early potty training, as well as Eco-novice's own view on the greatest benefits of early potty training.
This post introduces three basic stages of early potty training.
Tips and Tricks for Successful Early Potty Training
Top Ten Tricks for Early Potty Training Success
Just want a quick summary of my best tips and tricks for early potty training success? Start with this recent post. It includes links to more in depth information for most of the suggestions.
The Best Potties for Early Potty Training
Favorite Potty Training Stuff
I Love Board Books of Baby Faces
Comparing Brands of Reusable Training Pants
A comparison of four different brands of cloth training pants test driven extensively on kids from 9 months to 3 years. I discuss materials, absorption, how waterproof they are, ease of pulling up and down, fit, bulk, comfort, when we prefer each variety, and price.
Absorbent Yet Trim: Hanna Andersson Training Unders
Our new favorite! Hanna Andersson's Training Unders are an absorbent training pant that fits and feels like underwear and is made of 100% organic cotton.
Top Methods of Entertaining a Child on the Potty
How to Clean the Potty
Early Potty Training My Third Child
My latest adventure in early potty training. If you'd like to read an overview that shows the process from beginning to end, this post provides a summary of my experience potty training my third child from 4 months to 2 years. The links below provide the gory details for each stage of the process as I lived it.
- Potty Training a 4-month-old Baby
- My 5-month-old Baby Uses the Potty
- Early Potty Training at 6 Months
- The Poop Report: Diapering and Pottying at 7 Months
- The Poop Report: Diapering and Pottying at 9 Months
- The Poop Report: Diapering and Pottying at One Year
- The Poop Report: Diapering and Pottying at 15 Months
- The Poop Report: Diapering and Pottying at 18 Months
- The Poop Report: Diapering and Pottying at 21 Months
- My 2-year-old is Potty Trained! (Early Potty Training Reprise): a summary of potty training my third child from 4 months to 2 years.
Early Potty Training My Second Child
My first adventure in early potty training. Read a tale of early potty training from start to finish!
- My 9-Month-Old is Potty Trained!!! (9 months)
- Potty Training Reflections or The Thrill of Success & The Agony of Defeat (1 year)
- Preschooler Potty Training Finale (Plus Top Ten Benefits of Early Potty Training) (13 months)
- Thoughts on Diapering and Pottying During Travel (16 months)
- Potty Update (18 months)
- Early Potty Training Reprise (2.5 years): a summary of potty training my second child from 9 months to 2 years.
Potty Training My First Child When He Was a Preschooler
This experience provided the motivation for trying early potty training with my second child.
- My 9-Month-Old is Potty Trained!!! (2 years, 10 months)
- Potty Training Reflections or The Thrill of Success & The Agony of Defeat (3 years)
- Preschooler Potty Training Finale (Plus Top Ten Benefits of Early Potty Training) (3 years, 2 months)
Would you like more ideas and tips about Going Green Gradually? Sign up for my free email subscription to get each of my posts delivered to your inbox (I usually post one or two times a week). You can also follow me on Facebook, Google Plus, Pinterest, Twitter, or with your favorite RSS Reader. I hope to see you again soon!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Your purchase via these links helps support my blog. Thank you for your support. Read my full disclosure policy here.