This post is constantly updated.
Did you know this generation of children is the first ever that will spend more time playing inside than outside? I read that in an article several years ago and it has stuck with me. For years folks have been sounding the alarm about children spending too much time indoors. Although I didn't spend my entire childhood wandering through forests or wild meadows, I did spend a whole lot of time outside playing tag, climbing trees, wandering through empty lots, and looking under rocks for bugs. Helping kids to fall in love with nature is one of my passions. Since I started my blog, I've been documenting my own efforts to connect my kids with nature as well as collecting others' suggestions. It's a topic I have written about many times over the years, and one I plan to write about often in the future.
I created this page as a resource for parents and educators looking for ideas and inspiration about how to connect kids with the natural world. Below you will find links to most of the posts I have written about kids and nature, including:
- 30 ways to enjoy 30 minutes in nature with children
- How to use technology to connect your tech-loving teen or tween with nature
- 14 ways your family can participate in data collection for scientists in your own backyard
- Gifts to encourage a child's sense of wonder about nature
- 10 foolproof ways to entice your kids to play outside
Scroll to the end of the page for links to additional resources from various organizations.