Use non-toxic cleaners. Ingestion of household cleaners is a leading cause of poisoning among children, and poisoning is one of the top five types of accidental death among children (in addition to auto accident, drowning, fire, and falls). If you don't use caustic cleaners, you don't have to worry about locking them in a high cabinet out of reach of your small children. In fact, one of the big benefits of using green cleaners is that it's safe for your children to help you with the cleaning. Click here for tips for identifying a green cleaner. A simple one: avoid cleaners with the label "DANGER."
Use non-toxic personal products. A good reason to use fewer cosmetics and toiletries, and to use the least toxic, most natural personal products available, is that your child will eventually get his hands on one of them and may attempt to use it or even ingest it. Products such as perfume, hairspray, nail polish and remover, and mouthwash can be hazardous to children. Personally, I like to use personal products that I feel are safe enough for my children to use also. Although I'm not interested in my kids ingesting my personal products, I'm confident doing so would not be fatal.