I used disposables for a year with my first child (and still do use disposables on long vacations), so I am in a good position to compare cloth and disposables.
Why I love cloth diapers in order of importance to me:
- More natural against my baby's skin
- Almost no blowouts -- with my first child in disposables, his poop went up his back into his onesie about 90% of the time. I've found that I need a lot less clothing for my second child because of fewer blowouts. Even prefolds simply folded in thirds inside a cover contains poop FAR better than the luge-like interior of a disposable
- Cloth wipes are FAR superior to disposable baby wipes
- Less leaking at night
- Better for the environment (not everyone believes this, but I do)
- Easier to potty train: my little boy has been dry at night for months and was completely potty trained on #1 in a couple of days (still working on #2, darn it) -- not a representative sample, I know!
- Cuter: they are cuter, but I honestly don't care that much about that
Why do you love cloth diapers?
Why would you NEVER EVER EVER use cloth diapers?
This post is part of Homemaker Monday.