|photo credit: Patrick Kuhl|
I stepped into a Safeway the other day to pick up a few things for a sick child, and was surprised by the number of organic foods available. That's progress, I think. Still, I could have done without the helium balloons, aisles of candy and toys, and row upon row of packaged foods. My little shopping trip left me with a renewed appreciation for the farmers market.
11 things you will not find at a farmers market
- Little plastic stickers on every piece of produce
- Foods with tie-ins to popular TV characters
- High fructose corn syrup
- Magazines with scantily clad photo-shopped women prominently displayed
- Cheap toys
- Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners
- Candy at my kids' eye level in the checkout line
- Fluorescent breakfast cereals and yogurt
- Bread with more than 20 ingredients
- Eggs from caged chickens
- Sodium Benzoate and other preservatives
When I shop with my 3 little ones at the farmers market, instead of my kids nagging me for Doritos or Fruit Loops, they beg me for blueberries, dried persimmons, and grapes. If you are trying to switch from food-like substances to real foods, the farmers market is a great place to start! Find your local farmers markets here.
|photo credit: Natalie Maynor|
What would you add to the list?
- Getting the Most Out of Your Farmer’s Market
- How I Shop for Food
- My Love Affair with the Farmers' Market
- Things I Avoid Eating
- Top 5 Real Foods for Pregnancy by eco-mothering
- Real Food, Real Quick for Bad Cooks Like Me by The Soft Landing
- What is real food? by ecokaren